Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Upon completing the prologue and the first chapter, I had mixed emotions about the book. I must admit I was not looking forward to a book that deals with time travel. I figured all books on time travel are the same, until I read on a little more. It occured to me that Butler was different in her approach to time travel. Going back in time was completely against Dana’s will. She had no desire or reason to change anything in the past. One of the first lines that called my attention in the first chapter was when Dana stated, “It was also the day I met Rufus—the day he called me to him for the first time.” Right away it proves that these actions are involuntary. What surprises me after Dana goes through time is that she is not stunned by the incident. Rather she reacts instinctively to Rufu’s need for helf. I also noted that Dana was able to use CPR, an action commonly used in reviving drowning victims. However, Rufu’s mother was stunned by the action that allowed her son to live. It occured to me that Dana’s knowledge might prove useful in time where medicine and simple respiratory aid was unheard of. As I read on I hope to find the purpose in Butler’s use of time travel.

No comments: