Friday, August 3, 2007

The Book is Over... My Thoughts Now.

I enjoyed the book all the way until Alice killed herself... well her killing herself was fine, but everything after was not on the same level as the rest of the book.

As Rufus forces himself on Dana all respect I had towards the book was gone... I get it, Rufus loved Dana because she was "half of a whole woman" with Alice, but I didn't Rufus to end up being a despised character, I wanted him to free all the slaves and live a nice, long life watching his children grow and tell them of the woman named Dana... I also wanted Dana to reveal herself as a future relative. There were just so many let downs at the conclusion of this book.

So the book started out as a favorite, but the end left a bad taste in my mouth... oh, and the way her arm got caught-- LAME!

2 comments:

hermance said...

Tyler, thanks for posting your thoughts about the novel--and particularly your honesty about its conclusion. Why do you think you wanted Rufus to redeem himself at the end? Arguably, that's not a very realistic option, and many people have commented they liked the fact that this seemed like a realistic portrait of slavery. So, I'm really interested to hear even more about your reactions because it seems like you might have wanted something different out of the book than just "reality."

Also, you said there were many letdowns at the end, presumably more than just Rufus. I'm curious as to what else you found disappointing.

Tyler said...

Well I think in an unrealistic book... the characters have just as much right to be unrealistic... I enjoyed the character of Rufus, but all-the-while I rooted for him. He was my favorite leading character, while Carrie and Sarah tied for my fav supporting characters (I randomly threw this in). I feel Rufus would use his experiences with and learning from Dana as a catalyst for a life of good, what can I say, I guess I still think everyone can redeem themselves.