Monday, August 20, 2007

end

There was definitely a bit of confusion on my end after finishing Kindred. I can't say that I was entirely happy with the ending either.
As the novel progressed, I was nearly positive that something would have to be done to keep Rufus from completely ruining any chance Dana had of returning to life as she knew it, in 1976. However, I didn't really think she would eventually come to the point where murdering him was acceptable. I understand what he was trying to do and obviously I didn't expect her to let it happen...but could she not have simply stabbed him in the chest or elsewhere to wound him just enough to enable her escape? With her conscience, I figure she would have felt remorseful enough after doing so that she could somehow use that to get back to present-day as she actually did post-murder. I dont know, maybe it's the optimist in me, but I really don't think his death was vital to the plot. From the way Dana constantly talked about how she worried of what Rufus may do to the slaves on the plantation now that his father was gone, I didn't think she would have the gall to kill him as that would ultimately result in the selling of most of the Wyelin plantation slaves.
Also, I guess I'm not entirely sure how Dana's hand just...came off. I understand that it was molded in plaster but you would think there was another way around getting it out, as opposed to having it completely come off. A bit dramatic, I thought. Then again, trying to look at all sides, it is a novel and I do notice the symbolism in that in leaving her arm in the 1800s, she left a part of herself...both physically and emotionally. Anyway, overall I do see what Butler was trying to do with the novel but I'm not sure I would include in in my list of favorites.

No comments: