Thursday, August 16, 2007

MIdpoint

As I'd thought, Dana has gone through most of the foreshadowings I'd seen at the beginning of the novel. Butler's style seems very predictable at this point, almost to the point of cliche, but there have been a few unexpected twists. (Actually, now that I think of it they really weren't so unexpected at all...)

I notice that Butler attempts to fuse historical references into the sequence of events to make the story semi-informal for the reader, almost like side-notes in an encyclopedia. For instance, she mentions the KKK with the effect of a dictionary definition: "Patrols. Groups of young whites who ostensibly maintained order among the slaves. Patrols. Forefunners of the Ku Klux Klan" (37). She uses research to draw the reader to a past time with information she'd obviously attained for the purpose, and the effect is that the story is more of a history lesson than a drama. This is useful, but as a form of literature it seems to lack stucture. I still don't understand why Dana is brought to the past to protect her ancestors, or the link that time plays in the story, and it seems that these will remain unsolved mysteries and only serve as a means to "experience" the historical events.

One thing that intrigues me, however, is Rufus' character. He seems ambiguous, and it's difficult to tell whether he'll become good or bad, and seems to represent Dana's desire for "goodness" to come of her experience. The potential for a postitve change, also capable of monstrosities. If Rufus develops as a person, the change will come because he's the time link for Dana, and I'm sure this will be a crucial defining moment in the novel.

It really amazes me, as I read the story, that self-righteousness and religion can be twisted to a point to make evil justifiable. I notice that the Weylins' treatment of the slaves, however, is surprisingly bereft of these "righteous" excuses. Instead, it's mainly for profit in the plantation. The greatest emotion I form as I read the story is frustration at the blindness and ignorance that are contained within the family, bitter and empty because of selfishness for the cost of economic growth. Selfishness, I think, is the cause of Rufus' ruthless attitude, attempting to get his wishes met at all cost to those he loves.

No comments: