Wednesday, August 15, 2007

First Impression

I often have trouble not rolling my eyes whenever I read anything about time travel, but this was surprisingly easy to read. I noticed immediately that Butler uses very little imagery to describe Dana's journey: Dana feels really sick and then stuff vanishes. But enough of that.

I was a bit intrigued with Dana's reaction to drowning Rufus - she doesn't freak out and wonder what just happened to her or dwell on the fact that some child is drowning. She simply "reacted to the child in trouble." This is more than one could say for Margaret, who flails and screams and makes herself useless. Dana's calm in this situation leads me to believe that she is more fit to adapt and live in the antebellum south. Of course, after I came to that conclusion, I thought that perhaps the time travel aspect of the book has little to do with Butler's overall theme of adaptation and peoples' ability to adapt to alien environments.

No comments: