Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"Slavery was a long slow process of dulling"

Dana's character still interests me. For example, upon learning from Rufus that she was in the year 1815, she did not flip out (I don't think I could say that about myself), but rather, she "sat still" and believed him (pg. 27). At times I thought Butler should have made Dana more jumpy at first so that by the end of the novel, her transformation into a slavemaster-killing-machine would be more apparent.

I noticed that some of the other characters have adapted to a life of slavery, but in a different way. Sarah, for instance, "...had done the safe thing - had accepted a life of slavery because she was afraid... She was the kind of woman who would be held in contempt during the militant nineteen sixties" (pg. 145). I suppose I can say that this novel is about transformation, and that not all transformation is good.

And actually I had a question: What's up with the title "Marse"? Is it short for "Master"?

No comments: