Monday, August 20, 2007

Middle

As I was reading, I got a bit distracted with the way Butler worded things sometimes. The little sprinkling of facts and explanations seemed too like an ill-disguised history lesson. And I felt that everything clicked too quickly for Dana in terms of who everyone was, where she was, and why she was there.
The twists did keep me on my toes, though. Kevin making the jump with Dana added whole new levels to both their relationship and the struggle of daily life in the 19th century. Both of them now have to assume different roles – a reminder of how far into this world they are weaving themselves.
It was long foreshadowed that Rufus would do terrible things, so I was not surprised about this. Rufus still remains a complex character, though. I wonder how much longer his dwindling conscience can still manage to exist. The gun incident could lead to the end of the Rufus with morals (admittedly, not many morals) but somehow I doubt it. I think he will return and we will see him diminish even further. His relationship with Dana has changed as he has; as he becomes the domineering man society expects, Rufus seems to take more pleasure in controlling Dana’s circumstances. He continues to hurt her despite the guilt that comes from it.

No comments: