Monday, August 20, 2007

middle

After reaching what was about the mid-point of the book, my opinion of the novel changed. I still enjoyed the fresh approach Butler took in addressing the issue of race, but I felt the book was getting slightly tiresome. I think it is well-written and creatively original, but I seemed to experience a kind of feeling as if things were going nowhere. Everything seemed to remain stagnant in the sense that most of the text consists of Dana traveling back and forth from past to present. Maybe that's the feeling Butler intended for the reader to feel, though. It is possible that she hoped the reader would feel as if there was no solution to the problem, no hope for the future, etc. It is certainly a valid argument to raise. I, however, cannot be sure and only know my own feelings after reading this far.

No comments: